Non – EU nationals must have a “professional card” to practice as an independent Belgium.

As for the Brussels Region, people will need the professional card if they do not have Belgian nationality and if they don´t have the nationality of a Member States of the European Union, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland and if they are wishing to establish themselves as:

  1. an independent in the Brussels-Capital Region;
  2. a director of a company or association.

Among the documents required for the professional card request, the following are mandatory:

  1. established petition form;
  2. proof of payment of the fee linked to the introduction of an application;
  3. if a person doesn´t have a residence permit, it is necessary to apply for it at the embassy, at the same time that he or she applies for a professional card.

All other documents needed are not expressly indicated. But these certificates must prove that the applicant has the ability and knowledge necessary to conduct an economic activity.

Furthermore these papers must prove that the applicant´s business plan is good for the economy of Brussels, in terms of job creation, export, and positive repercussions for other Belgian companies. So it is recommended to submit all documentation that the applicant considers useful to demonstrate these requirements.

It is also recommended that such documentation be drafted or translated into one of the official language of Belgium.

Please refer to our website for more information on professional cards: